Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Work: Love in Action

I am thankful for work. Work was not part of The Fall, as some think, but was instituted by God: The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it. (Gen. 2:15) So, the oldest profession is really GARDENING! This is work that I have only discovered in the last decade of my life. It is a good thing to labor in the dirt among the rocks and tree roots, to battle weeds, to prune and transplant, to supply water and nutrients and seed. When I was a child, I thought of work as punishment. As and adult, there have been seasons of my life when I have been physically unable to work and that's when I most vividly realized its value. The paycheck is great, but it's not just about that. To work is to create, to restore and maintain, to serve. Work is noble and we find fulfillment when we embrace it. All work has worth and dignity whether you are washing dishes, pumping gas, unloading trucks, or managing a hospital. I love going to work every day. I am an assistant. I assist. I have the most lovely person to sit by every day and my entire job is to help her. I sort mail. I answer the phone. I label, file, shred, and stamp things. I deliver messages. I cover books and collect receipts. I sanitize surfaces and clean windows. Many precious teenagers, teachers, and parents approach our desk every day and I assist them. What a privilege! How are you making the world a better place for someone else today?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment